MorphOS Port of NetSurf - licencing issue

Ilkka Lehtoranta ilkleht at isoveli.org
Sat Jan 17 22:03:52 GMT 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, [utf-8] François Revol wrote:

> > I sent the following mail to ilkleht at isoveli.org and
> > suck.  So here it is again.
>
> Well it's marked as developer preview, so it's understandable he didn't
> yet have the time to clean up a diff, but still, GPL doesn't
> differentiate preview from other distributions :)
> Usually when I port things I give test binaries to ppl I know know they
> can ask me for the source so there is no issue, but putting it on a
> public depot like aminet implies people might not know NS is GPL and
> what the GPL is, and so which rights they have.

Indeed it should have included mention about GPL (at least the standard
COPYING doc) but lot of things got undone when I rushed release =P This
will be remedied soon when I release new archive with some minor bug
fixes.

> As to MorphOS, I'd think it'd be good to merge it with the AmigaOS port
> and also support AROS if possible, by using 3.x calls by default and
> optionally using specific calls.

As already noted it is not practical due to different GUI engines they are
using. Which leads to another question: are there any standard gfx
available for NetSurf which I could use in MorphOS port? What I need is
images for toolbar buttons (prev, forward, reload, stop) and a program
icon for a desktop. There are some gfx in !NetSurf directory but they are
in RISCOS sprite format which I can not convert atm. Something in PNG
format with alpha channel would be nice but for now anything goes :)

  Ilkka