Plotter API

John-Mark Bell jmb at netsurf-browser.org
Mon Jun 29 13:45:42 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 10:20 +0100, Michael Drake wrote:
> In article
> <OUT-4A47AFD6.MD-1.4.17.chris.young at unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk>,
>    Chris Young <chris.young at unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > The odd ordering causes potential problems here, as most of the Amiga
> > graphics functions expect RGBA or ARGB (ARGB is more common).  If
> > that's the option then I'd rather it was all left in the current crazy
> > dual-fashion.
>
> The advantage of keeping it all in one format is it will simplify stuff
> where the core modifies images, e.g. via scripting. But I guess that can
> be worked around.

The most obvious solution to all of this is to make bitmaps completely
opaque to the core and have them provide accessors/mutators for bitmap
data in a defined format (namely: whatever the core speaks). The
frontend can then store bitmap data in whatever format they like and the
core can still access it as necessary.

I know Vince has been planning some other bitmap-related changes, so I'm
not sure if the above suggestion is compatible with his thinking.

However, at this stage, I'd rather preserve the status quo until we've
got the myriad streams of development merged back onto trunk. On the
upside, this gives us lots of thinking time :)

J.